Wednesday, July 4, 2007

It's not that difficult

Ok, I know it's not a critical world issue, but there is one thing that bugs me. Spelling. Spelling words that are not that difficult to spell.

Once and for all, it is independence, not independance.

It didn't bother me at first. Then I saw it spelled this way on some computer programs. Ok, it's a program, not a novel, right? Then it popped up in some important engineering manuals. It's a freakin manual, you say, not a piece of British literature. Ok, fine. But soon thereafter, it's everywhere. Posters, announcements, invitations, emails, blogs, newspapers and corporate websites.

Today I was looking at www.austin360.com and checking out a few events in Austin. This is what I found. Celebrate my Independance? Are they serious? We, the United States of America, the wealthiest and most powerful (arguably) nation in the world, are celebrating something we can't even spell? Honestly, doesn't something seem wrong with this picture??


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well you could just get over it with the spelling. Besides this country is way to BUSY to worry about or even care about one small letter. I mean really dude if this is such a big deal to you that you had to post a blog about it then you seriously have too much time on your hands!!!! So enjoy your INDEPENDENCE and be glad you can celebrate it NO MATTER HOW YOU SPELL IT!!

Anonymous said...

Well, I suppose that in this free country, people have the right to misspell words. You, in turn, have the right to think they're backwoods goobers. You paid plenty for your education and you may as well flaunt it! I, too, am a spelling bee champ and confessed grammar nerd. What really chaps my ass is the common misspelling of words like your, their, too, etc. Speaking of which, "anonymous" used the wrong "to!" But hey, it's a free country!

Christi Q :)